Monday, July 21, 2008

12 years ago today...



THE SPICE GIRLS single, "Wannabe" reached the top of the UK Singles Chart on this day in 1996. It remained there for seven consecutive weeks, and received a platinum certification. By the end of 1996 it had topped the charts in 22 countries. In January of 1997 the song was released in the United States topping the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks, becoming The Spice Girls only number-one single in the US. It eventually became the best-selling single by a female group in history topping the charts in 31 countries. Today we have a video of The Spice Girls performing the song in Turkey in 1997.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Spice Girls? I remember when I was in 8th grade, and every girl danced to Spice Girls in the school talent show… haha

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember when Geri left the band? I remember watching 10 year old British girls crying on TV. I was 15 and I remember thinking how pathetic it was that 10 year old girls thought their lives were over because Ginger left the group. I was just leaving my pop music stage, opting for artists like Beck and Fiona Apple. But I loved the Spice Girls. They were so crazy and their music was fun. And they had the mantra of Girl Power that I liked.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"10 Golden Rules of Girl Power":

1. Be positive
2. Be strong
3. Don't let anyone put you down.
4. Be in control of your own life and your destiny.
5. Support your girl friends,
6. and let them support you, too.
7. Say what's on your mind.
8. Approach life with attitude.
9. Don't let anyone tell you that you can never do something because you're a girl.
10. Have fun!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember, did The Spice Girls have hazardous shirts? I think they might have had flammable pajamas, not nearly as cool as those Tullycraft shirts.

Hey, Tullycraft should have pajamas!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week some friends and I went to a karaoke bar. It wasn’t like there was just one bar room with one machine and everyone went up and watched everyone. You and your group went into a room with big couches and a TV and you just karaoke with your group. We broke out the Spice Girls! I even taught everyone the dance moves from Spice Up You Life from their concert. If only we had been wearing our Tullycraft pajamas!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Girl said...

Footsie flammable tullycraft pajamas, even! You could sell a ton!

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home