Friday, July 18, 2008

MP3 of the Day

Dutch film director, Paul Verhoeven was born on this day in 1938. In 1995, he made the poorly received movie Showgirls, about a stripper in Las Vegas trying to start a career as a showgirl. The film won seven Raspberry Awards including worst film and worst director. Paul Verhoeven was the first director to accept the award in person. After Showgirls, Verhoeven made the Sci-fi film, Starship Troopers (1997), based on a controversial science-fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein. Today we have the 'studio angst' version of Sun Blows Up by CARS CAN BE BLUE. Happy Friday!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dennis said...

Flying back from New York to Amsterdam this weekend I watched an episode of CSI: Miami and couldn't stop wondering who one of the actresses was. Now you mention Showgirls and suddenly I realise: it's her! Thanks!

Paul Verhoeven is (temporarily?) back to making (pretty good) Dutch movies.

Cars Can Be Blue are rather brilliant sometimes, aren't they?

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cristal Connors: I've had dog food.
Nomi Malone: You have?
Cristal Connors: Mmm-hmmm. Long time ago. Doggy Chow... I used to love Doggy Chow.
Nomi Malone: I used to love Doggy Chow, too!

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone else noticed that the new Cars Can Be Blue song "Coat Tails" sounds an awful lot like the song "Superstar" by Pegboy recorded in 1991?

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Coat Tails" is a TOTAL ripoff of "Superstar"! The melody is exactly the same. She even sings "Ride the tails of a Superstar" - that's got to be a hint that she's stealing from the Pegboy song.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

I just downloaded the Pegboy song and they are sorta similar. There's a pretty good case here.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony Moss was the best character in Showgirls! With lines like these how can you not love him?


"Come back when you've fucked some of this baby fat off"


"What are these, watermelons? This is a stage, babe, it's not a patch"


"Okay ladies, I'm Tony Moss. I produce this show. Some of you have probably heard that I'm a prick - I am a prick. I got one interest here, and that's the show. I don't care whether you live or die. I want to see you dance and I want to see you smile. I can't use you if you can't smile, I can't use you if you can't show, I can't use you if you can't sell"

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home