Thursday, December 04, 2008

MP3 of the Day

On this day in 1872, Captain David Morehouse, spotted the ship, the Mary Celeste, sailing at full sail near the Azores Islands in the Atlantic Ocean. The vessel was seaworthy, its supplies were untouched, but not a single person was onboard. On November 7, the Mary Celeste sailed from New York harbor for Genoa, Italy, carrying Captain Benjamin S. Briggs, his wife and two-year-old daughter, and a crew of eight. After Captain Morehouse sighted the vessel on December 4, he and his men boarded the ship to find it abandoned. The last entry in the captain's log showed that the Mary Celeste had been nine days and 500 miles away from where it was eventually found. Apparently, the ship had been drifting toward Genoa on her intended course for 11 days with no one at the wheel to guide her. Captain Briggs, his family, and the crew of the ship were never found, and the reason for their disappearance was never determined. Today we have the song (My Girl's Got) Miraculous Technique by BELLE AND SEBASTIAN. The song was recorded for the John Peel show (on the BBC) in 2001, and never made it on to a subsequent album.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great song. The 2nd cd (delux edition I think) has all kinds of great stuff.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These Dreary Economic Days: I went to buy the SUPER DELUXE B&S CD then thought "I have most of these songs, I don't really need live versions, and there are several Tullycraft albums I should own instead." Once I heard "Cowgirls on Parade" for the very first time I knew I had made the right choice.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home