Thursday, March 19, 2009

MP3 of the Day

On this day in 1992, Weezer played their very first show at a club called Raji's on Hollywood Boulevard. The band somehow got offered an opening slot for Keanu Reeves's then-brand-new band, Dogstar. Apparently, there was no show booked at the club that night when Dogstar asked to play. Then there was a sudden need for an opening act. Meanwhile, Weezer had been itching to start playing out, and was calling around that day to try and book some shows. When they called Raji's, the guy said "how about tonight?"...and so it was. The band called everyone they knew, and got 17 people to show up. Weezer’s 30 min. included: “I Can’t Forget the Way,” “Undone,” “The Biggest Animal,” “The World Has Turned and Left Me Here,” and “M.E.” (a Gary Numan cover). Today we have a live version of the song El Scorcho by WEEZER.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can keep the Lemonheads and Weezer he gave you

and to think I thought it said 'and Weezer's big debut" all these years

2:04 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

"He can keep the Lemonheads and Weezer he gave you" - it's true, I made fun of Weezer in the song "Pop Songs...". I was called out on this once in front of Matt Sharp while eating lunch with a big group of people in L.A. I didn't know who Matt Sharp was. I'm sure I looked like a real dumb ass. Whatever? I'll admit I discovered Weezer's Blue album late, and when I did I realized it was brilliant. Sorry Weezer.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm convinced that Matt Sharp was behind all of Weezer's good stuff. I mean, the blue album and Pinkerton rule. Matt Sharp leaves. Everything after that sucks. Sharp forms the Rentals. They record "Return of the Rentals" and bless the entire world with Friends of P. There's a correlation.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home