Monday, August 10, 2009

MP3 of the Day

On this day in 2005, I was enduring the sweltering heat at the Little Kings club in Athens, GA. I was watching some bands as part of the Athens Popfest, when a nervous-looking guy came up to me and introduced himself as Nate. He told me that he was in a band and he described their music as "kind of like Tullycraft... only dirtier." I found this description intriguing, and we talked for a bit. At the end of our conversation he gave me a t-shirt and a CDR of his band. Later that night we were driving to dinner in our rental van. You must know: when Tullycraft travels we almost never remember to bring music for the car. This was one of those occasions. Jeff had discovered the local classic rock station, when suddenly Jenny remembered the CD I had been given earlier that day, "Hey, we should listen to that CD," Jenny exclaimed! Cori perked-up and inquired as to what the band was all about. I explained how Nate had called them a dirty version of Tullycraft. "Cool, what are they called?" Cori asked. "Cars Can Be Blue" Jenny replied. We put the CDR in the van's player and on that ride we all discovered Cars Can Be Blue together. The songs were funny, catchy and yes... super dirty! Before long we were all singing along. The CD didn't leave the player for the rest of the trip (and not just because it was our only CD). Cars Can Be Blue 'All The Stuff We Do' became our soundtrack to the Athens Popfest 2005. Today we have the song She Needs It from the album, All The Stuff We Do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Put the D in the P...

1:41 AM  
Blogger Mears said...

Or the A!

Great and accurate recounting of that awesome trip, Sean!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous janice said...

what i wouldnt give to have been in that van with you all!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

"Dee Eee Eee Pee Dee I Sea Kay I in Gee for me"

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home